Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cans

Do you see that? They are cans. Fifteen cans that I bought for fifteen dollars.

They are headed for the Second Harvest Food Bank collection bucket in my first period English class. To be completely honest, I originally bought them so that my class could win an English class competition between several other classes. If my class won, we would get a pizza or donut party, depending on what everyone votes for (because first period is early in the morning so pizza doesn't really make much sense). However, walking home from the store, I felt so proud in my investment to donate canned food to those who don't have the money to buy food every day. Because I bought these cans with my own money, not my parents'. Because I carried these cans back from the store, not by driving. Because I didn't pick 15 cans of green beans like my parents would have, but 15 cans of (somewhat) yummy food.

Walking home with these cans, I felt like the entire world was right for once. Lately, I've felt stressed about almost everything, so this feeling was completely new and refreshing. 

I still want that pizza party though.

No comments:

Post a Comment