Thursday, February 14, 2013

Photography

I've always been an artistic person. In first grade, I created a horse character that sounds completely preposterous now but was one of my best ideas ever back then. Between second and third grade, when Neopets was the "big thing," I drew the Neopets and Petpets I was most interested in.  In fifth grade, my friends and I drew little figurines we had as characters and put them all in a balloon chase.

In sixth grade I fell into another petsite that had a lot of artists on it, and as a young person I looked up to those artists. I found deviantART, and created an account in seventh grade. Before my deviantART account, however, I commissioned someone to create a fursona for me. I had since changed my fursona, but it was because of that website and my fursona that got me to be as artistic as I am now. It's because of that website and my fursona that I have decided to follow a career in art.

So when I started high school and learned about the photography class, I decided that was something I was going to take. To be completely honest, I didn't want to wait for junior year to start photography, but patience (and the school district) allowed me to complete my first two years without it.

And then junior year began.
And I began Traditional Photography 1.

 After the basics and a "pinhole camera," we moved into Photograms. I did several, but only one turned out well (the others were kind of experiments and not as good). Photograms basically are the silhouettes of objects you place on top of the photographic paper. In this Photogram I used plants that I encountered on my way to and from school.

Next we moved onto cameras. Actual, physical cameras. I felt so proud of myself, holding that camera and taking pictures with real film and everything. Sure, I'd done it before with disposable cameras, but this time was for real, in class, and not just messing around.
The purpose the first time was just to take pictures and develop the film. Our first assignment with the cameras, though, was to develop an image on half of a piece of photographic paper. That's what the above two are. The one on the left looks so odd because someone accidentally poured Permawash into the Fixer (Permawash cleans the film after the Fixer fixes or makes the images on the film permanent, and mixing the two does not help fix the film) so it looks a bit polarized. But the second image is what I turned in. It's pretty obvious that it's a broken basketball hoop. :b

After that, we moved onto prints. The first assignment then because "bike parts" -- to take pictures of parts of bikes, develop the film, create a print, drymount the print, and document the print. Woo. That's where this bad-boy comes in. I took a camera home and took pictures of my own bike for this. I am soooooo proud of this print. Except for a few dust spots (which photoshop helped me erase, heehee), this photograph turned out pretty spotless. I got a 12/12 or 100% on this project. Yay for A+ in photography! :D

Today I turned in our next project, "reflections," and I hope to have it back in a couple of weeks. For that project, I took a picture of the sun reflected in a puddle, and that picture turned out pretty good too.

Eventually I'll bring my developed film home and scan that too, and those photos might manage to make their way here too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment